Happy Holidays VAND Members!!! There is quite a bit of information to pass along to you this month.
- 2018 National Academy election will occur between February 1st and 15th. Candidate information will be made available mid-December.
- Now Available: Revised 2017 Scope and Standards of Practice for RDN The Revised 2017 Scope of Practice for the RDN, and the Revised 2017 Standards of Practice (SOP) in Nutrition Care and Standards of Professional Performance (SOPP) for RDNs, are now available in the Journal as “Articles in Press”. The RDN documents reflect changes impacting practice such as:
- CMS regulations – hospital ordering privileges and delegated orders in long-term care
- Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation (IMPACT) Act of 2014 – discharge planning and transition of care
- National efforts to address malnutrition
- EAL Update – The EAL is working on new content. Coming soon is Malnutrition in Pregnancy (early 2018), Nutrition Screening Pediatrics (January 2018), Nutrition Screening Adults (spring 2018), Chronic Kidney Disease Guidelines (summer/fall 2018), and Preterm Infant Guidelines (January 2019). Just starting are projects on cystic fibrosis and dietary cholesterol.
- Transforming Vision into Action Award – The Council on Future Practice’s Transforming Vision into Action Award is given in recognition of outstanding collaborative contributions of Academy members and their teams. The purpose of this award is to recognize innovative programs or products that transform a vision into nutrition and dietetics practice and/or education with outcomes relevant to the future. The deadline to apply is March 1, 2018.
- Submit National Honors and Awards Nominations – Do you know an outstanding role model who has advanced the nutrition and dietetics profession, exhibited leadership and shown devotion to serving others in both dietetics and allied fields? If so, recognize their contributions by nominating them for an Academy National Award. Submit an intent to nominate by January 15, 2018 and complete the full online nomination by March 1, 2018. Award recipients will be announced in May, 2018 and recognized at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ 2018 Food and Nutrition Conference & Expo in Washington, D.C.
- FNCE 2018 – The Academy is excited to announce that FNCE 2018 will offer a robust Policy/PPW dedicated track.
- Those PPW track will culminate in a Tuesday afternoon/evening policy event to prepare those interested for a Capitol Hill visit on Wednesdayafter FNCE.
- No additional registration fee will be assessed, but the Academy will be collecting information to accurately confirm participation.
- Global Nutrition Report Now Available – The 2017 Global Nutrition Report, an independently produced account of the world’s nutrition, is now available. It notes that nearly every country in the world currently faces serious nutrition-related challenges, ranging from undernutrition to obesity. The report calls for nutrition to be central to efforts to stem poverty and disease, improve educational standards and confront climate change.
- Academy Foundation’s (ANDF) New Videos – Sometimes the best way to tell ANDF stories are through our Donors and Recipients. Check out the latest videos on:
The VAND Board of Directors and I wish all of you “Happy Holidays”, and hope your 2018 is filled with family, fun, and amazing times!
Crista Galvin-Cox, MS, RD, FAND
VAND President, 2017-2018